It’s a play on the basil – black pepper – strawberry combo and a riff on this cocktail originally made at the Living Room Manchester that found its way on the Be At One menu when GungHo owner Julien used to work there.
Julien worked on it to showcase British ingredients such as strawberries, apples and raspberries along with fresh herbs all preserved for maximum taste.
For the cocktail base (Basil Grande Mix):
- Blend together 700ml vodka, 350ml amaro averna, 350ml cynar, 1 level teaspoon sea salt, 350 grams strawberry jam, 1.5 litres of local apple and raspberry juice.
- Strain well and decant into a sealable container.
For the foam:
- Make 1:1 sugar syrup by stirring 350 grams sugar with 350ml boiling water until dissolved and let cool.
- Dip 100 grams of fresh basil into just under boiling hot water for a few seconds, immediately plunge the basil into iced water until fully chilled (to blanch).
- Add to blender: blanched basil, 600ml of 1:1 sugar syrup, 100ml green chartreuse, 3 level teaspoons lactic acid, 1 level teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum; blend well until the basil will not fragment any further.
- Sieve into n02 cream whipper and charge twice, shaking vigorously in between charges.
- Leave foam to settle refrigerated for an hour minimum.
For the cocktail:
- Shake together 90ml of your Basil Grande Mix together with 20ml of lemon juice (we use an alternative but for less complication freshly squeezed lemon juice is fine)
- Carefully layer 1cm volume of Basil foam on top
- Freshly grind a pinch of black pepper over the drink to finish